Nikon has expanded its S-Line lens lineup with the introduction of the Nikkor Z 600mm f/6.3 VR S. The Nikkor Z 600mm F/6.3 VR S arrives in late October 2023 for a suggested retail price of $4,796.95. First available for pre-order at B&H/ Adorama and Amazon.
NIKKOR Z 600mm f/6.3 VR S Key Features
- SR and ED glass control aberrations and colour fringing.
- Nano Crystal Coat counters ghosting and flare for superb clarity.
- Near silent AF
- Up to 6-stop VR image stabilisation
- Rubber gaskets keep dust, dirt, and moisture away
- Nikon’s fluorine coating makes the front element easy to clean
- Functions can be assigned to the L-Fn buttons and the silent control ring
- Memory-set button
- AF and VR are available while using Z teleconverters.
- Weighs 1470g
NIKKOR Z 600mm f/6.3 VR S Overview
Measuring just 11 inches in length and weighing only 1,390g / 3lbs, the Nikkor Z 600mm F6.3 VR S is aimed at wildlife, motorsport and aviation photographers. Nikon was able to achieve the new super-telephoto lens’ diminutive size thanks to a Phase Fresnel element in its optical construction. The Nikkor Z 600mm F6.3 VR S is the second PF lens in the Z series, joining the Nikkor Z 800mm F6.3 VR S.
Overall, the Nikkor Z 600mm F6.3 VR S is comprised of 21 elements in 14 groups, which includes two extra-low dispersion (ED) elements and one short-wavelength refractive (SR) element to keep chromatic aberration at bay.
The new Nikon lens also provides six stops of VR and offers a minimum focusing distance of 4m.
Other features include a DX Crop Mode for getting even closer to your subjects and assignable L-Fn buttons for quick access to features like subject tracking, AF Lock or image playback.
The Nikkor Z 600mm F6.3 VR S uses 95mm threaded circular filters and is compatible with Nikon’s teleconverters. It also boasts a fluorine coating and a nano crystal coating for stopping dust and flare, respectively.
Full press text can be found here.