The Canon RF 100-300mm f/2.8 L IS USM lens for Canon RF mount is now officially announced. The US price for this lens is $9,499 and the official release date for this lens is in May 2023. The lens hood for RF 100-300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens is ET-124, costs $650 in US, and the lens cap E-112 costs $25.
The RF 100-300mm F2.8L IS USM is designed to satisfy the demand for prime-level quality while reimagining the EF 300mm f/2.8 as a zoom lens. Its zoom range, constant aperture, robust construction, and stunning image quality make it primarily appealing to professionals and enthusiasts who specialize in sports photography, from indoor sports to motorsports.
Canon RF 100-300mm f/2.8L IS USM Lens Key Features
- 5.8 lbs (the lightest F2.8 lens with a 300mm focal length on the market)
- 9 circular aperture blades for bokeh
- Full-Frame | f/2.8 to f/22
- Fast L-Series Telephoto Zoom
- Dual Nano USM AF System
- 5.5-Stop Image Stabilization
- Floating Focus Design
- Internal Zoom and Focusing Design
- Function/Focus Preset Selector Switch
- Fluorite, UD, and Aspherical Elements
- SSC and Fluorine Coatings
- Weather-Sealed Design
Canon RF 100-300mm F/2.8 L IS USM Lens Videos
Canon Introduces the RF100-300mm F2.8 L IS USM to Its Lens Lineup
The new lens combines the flexibility of a zoom lens with the quality of a telephoto lens
MELVILLE, NY, April 20, 2023 – Today, Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, announced the launch of the RF100-300mm F2.8 L IS USM lens, answering calls from photojournalists and professional level customers for a modern 300mm f/2.8 equivalent lens.
“This lens is an absolute game changer! It gives you the most incredible range, but without sacrificing the f/2.8 aperture. To have this kind of performance at your fingertips is incredible!”
Roberto Valenzuela, fashion and wedding photographer
For decades, the 300mm f/2.8 telephoto lens has been an industry standard for photojournalists, professionals, and aspiring enthusiast photographers due to its outstanding image quality, excellent speed for indoor shooting, and relatively light weight for hand-holding. Now, with the launch of the RF100-300mm F2.8 L IS USM, Canon delivers the flexibility of a zoom lens design with the truly outstanding quality of a 300mm f/2.8 L-series telephoto lens. Exceeding the reach and potential of traditional 70-200mm lenses, and adding zoom flexibility to its Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS predecessor, the RF100-300mm F2.8 L IS USM lens brings new value to customers with the following features:
- Wide Focal Range — 100-300mm range
- Extended Zoom — Optional RF1.4x and 2x extenders are supported with this lens, enabling a zoom range of up to 600mm
- Spectacular Image Quality — f/2.8 constant wide aperture; Fluorite Aspherical and UD-glass design
- Reliable Stabilization — Up to 5.5 stops correction with in-lens Optical Image Stabilization and up to 6.0 stops correction with in-body coordinated Image Stabilization (CIPA standard)
- Weather and Dust Resistant — Durable in various environmental conditions
- Compact and Lightweight Design — Despite capabilities to zoom over 300mm, this lens is unusually lightweight, just barely heavier than the EF300mm f/2.8L IS II
“I love this lens! It’s incredibly lightweight, versatile, and sharp. Toss on the 2x extender and you can snipe gorgeous frames at a distance, especially with the built in image stabilizer. This lens is going to change the game for live concerts, weddings, and so much more.”
Ben Hagarty, Grammy award-winning cinematographer
This telephoto zoom lens is ideal for professionals who use a Canon EOS R3, EOS R5 or EOS R6 Mark II full-frame mirrorless camera, but can also be a catalyst for users who have developed into serious, aspirational enthusiasts and are looking to step beyond their traditional telephoto lens experience. Best use cases include, but are not limited to, indoor sports, motorsports, outdoor fashion, video and cinema, photojournalism and theater work. For high-level shooters and videographers particularly working in low-light settings and seeking a hand-holdable solution, this lens provides the total answer.