Dpreview published an interview with Sony’s Yasuyuki Nagata talking about the newly announced FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS Lens and FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS Lens. Below you can find the highlights from this interview.
The US price for FE 200-600mm lens is $1,998.00 (B&H Photo Video/Adorama) ), the US price for FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS Lens is $12,998 (B&H Photo Video/Adorama). Both lenses will start shipping from August, 2019.
Dpreview Interview Yasuyuki Nagata from Sony
- The sales of FE 400mm f/2.8 GM OSS Lens has been much higher than we expected. Many of the top sports photographers want this lens.
- The availability of FE 400mm f/2.8 GM OSS Lens is still capped – there is a long waiting list.
- Compared to the 400mm, the 600mm is more targeted at high-end amateurs that shoot birds, wildlife, aircraft. Maybe 70-80% will be wildlife photographers. That’s why the market is bigger for the 600mm than the 400mm.
- FE 200-600 will appeal to the same audience [to some extent] but some people who use those kinds of lenses will use them with APS-C cameras. To get more reach.
- FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS Lens doesn’t use magnesium-alloy, or the [newer XD linear autofocus] actuator.
- Stock of FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS lens is much larger than GM lenses.
- FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS Lens is key concept is ‘future lenses for today’
- The upcoming Sony a9 II should be more speed, less weight, greater usability.
- These new lenses will be able to keep up with the next generation cameras. They have much more potential than the specifications of the current generation cameras.
- The biggest challenge is keeping the size and weight down.
- These lenses will stand as benchmark performers around next 10 years.
Hot Sony Camera Deals:
Also join the Sony Camera Users Facebook Group to share your Sony photography.