Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8 DG DN Art lens announced for full-frame mirrorless cameras. The Art lens will be released in August for Panasonic / Leica L-mount and Sony E-mount.
The company calls it the ‘definitive lens for astrophotography’ and emphasizes its ‘outstanding’ resolution to the edges of the frame, achieved in part thanks to the inclusion of low dispersion elements and Sigma’s Nano Porous Coating (NPC).
The lens is splash and dustproof, and features a rear filter holder. The aperture diaphragm uses 11 rounded blades, and the lens weighs 28 oz / 795g. Shipping will start in late August 2019 and US Price would be around $1,300.
A | Art SIGMA 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN
Astonishing starry skies at hand ―A wide-angle zoom with remarkable resolution that is perfect for full-frame mirrorless cameras
- Newly developed high-performance lens series for full-frame mirrorless cameras
- High-resolution image quality developed with exclusive low dispersion glass elements and NPC (Nano Porous Coating)
- Substantial functions enable user confidence, even in tough environments
- Rear filter holder as a standard accessory
Launch: August, 2019
Case, Cover Lens Cap (LC850-01) supplied
Available AF mount: L-Mount, Sony E-mount
Note: The L-Mount Trademark is a registered Trademark of Leica Camera AG. Appearance and specifications are subject to change without notice.
Ultimate large-diameter, wide-angle zoom lens optimized for full-frame mirrorless cameras －“The definitive lens for astrophotography” with astonishing resolution.
Many photographers like to use low sensitivity shooting to minimize noise as much as they can. Particularly in the photography of starry skies, bright wide-angle lenses are often selected because they can efficiently collect weak light. The 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN | Art has been developed as the ultimate large-diameter, wide-angle zoom lens by optimizing the standard specifications for photographing starry skies for full-frame mirrorless cameras. The uniform rendering performance and outstanding resolution to the edge of the frame make it the “definitive lens for astrophotography.” By utilizing the characteristics of the short flange focal length, this new-generation large-diameter zoom lens combines both compact body and unprecedented high-resolution image quality.
About Product Name: Product name includes “DG” when the lens is designed to deliver the ultimate in performance on cameras with full-frame sensors, and “DN” when the lens design is optimized for mirrorless cameras with the short flange focal length.
- Newly developed high-performance lens series for full-frame mirrorless cameras With mirrorless cameras emerging at an accelerated pace, expectations towards lenses suited for high-performance full-frame mirrorless cameras are growing. Unfortunately, many photographers may feel that they have little choices for mirrorless lens systems in terms of performance, size, extensive lineup, and due to the burden of having to use multiple systems. SIGMA has thus developed and proposes this new full-frame mirrorless lens series as the optimal solution to this challenge.SIGMA will develop interchangeable lenses with unprecedented specifications and performance by designs that benefit from the short flange focal length feature of mirrorless cameras while retaining the concepts of “Contemporary,” “Art,” and “Sports.” We will announce three models as the first lenses from this series.
• 45mm F2.8 DG DN | Contemporary
Compact size is realized while maintaining high image quality and is compatible with full-frame mirrorless cameras. This prime lens refines the concept of the Contemporary line.
• 35mm F1.2 DG DN | Art
The world’s first* 35mm F1.2 as L-Mount and Sony E-mount lens for full-frame mirrorless system. The high image quality of the Art line that pursues ultimate performance is realized by F1.2 maximum aperture.
* As an autofocus lens
• 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN | Art
Large-diameter, ultra-wide-angle zoom lens for full-frame mirrorless cameras. While pursuing the ultimate image quality of the Art line, the size is reduced thanks to the exclusive design for mirrorless cameras.
- High-resolution image quality developed with exclusive low dispersion glass elements and NPC (Nano Porous Coating)One FLD glass and five SLD glass elements are appropriately arranged to suppress chromatic aberration to the edge of the frame. Three aspherical lenses, including a large-diameter aspherical lens at the foremost surface, are used to effectively minimize coma flare, etc., thereby achieving mind-blowing resolution. The super multi-layer coating is combined with a newly developed NPC (Nano Porous Coating)*. The lens has been designed to be less susceptible to strong incident light such as backlight.
* SIGMA’s new unique coating technology “NPC (Nano Porous Coating)” incorporates porous silica as the coating material. The porous silica layer has nano-sized holes with air inside. Having holes of this size enables a large reduction in the refractive index, allowing the reflectance to be lowered more than conventional anti-reflective coatings. As a result, reflected light causing flares and ghosting is sharply reduced, achieving clear image quality.
- Substantial functions enable user confidence, even in tough environments Incorporating a stepping motor enables the high speed, quiet AF drive. Shooting is comfortable even in target AF such as Face/Eye Detection AF and during video shooting. The AFL button which can be assigned with various functions widens the range of operations available on the lens. Furthermore, the lens features a dust- and splash-proof structure, along with a water- and oil-repellent coating on the frontmost surface of the lens, which further supports shooting in various environments.
- Rear filter holder as a standard accessory The lens comes with a rear filter holder equipped with a fall prevention lock for attaching sheet type rear filters for shooting starry skies.
- Full-time manual mode
- Available Mount Conversion Service
- Designed to minimize flare and ghosting
- Evaluation with SIGMA’s own MTF measuring system: A1
- 11-blade rounded diaphragm
- High-precision, rugged brass bayonet mount
- “Made in Japan” craftsmanship
For more information about the SIGMA GLOBAL VISION lineup of fine products, please visit the official SIGMA global website:
SIGMA GLOBAL VISION: https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/
All figures calculated for L-Mount
Lens Construction: 18 elements in 13 groups｜Angle of view (35mm): 114.2°-84.1°｜
Number of diaphragm blades: 11 (rounded diaphragm)｜Minimum aperture: F22｜ Minimum focusing distance: 28cm / 11.0in.｜Maximum magnification ratio: 1:7.3
Dimensions (diameter × length): φ85.0mm×131.0mm / φ3.3in. × 5.2in.｜Weight: 795g / 28.0oz.
[Contact] For further information, please contact your local authorized SIGMA Service Station listed in the link: http://www.sigma-global.com/en/about/world-network/
SIGMA GLOBAL VISION : http://www.sigma-global.com
Product information: https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/art/a019_14_24_28/