The bridge camera features a 83x optical zoom range from wide-angle 24mm to super-telephoto 2,000mm and supports UHD 4K video recording at up to 30 fps and Full HD recording at 60 fps. From macro close-ups to extreme telephoto superzoom, the Nikon COOLPIX P950 delivers sharp, clear and beautiful images, all in a compact, highly portable body. Check out the Nikon Coolpix P950 Review.
What we like
- 24-2000mm equivalent zoom offers incredible versatility
- 2.36M-dot OLED viewfinder is very nice (and a big improvement on the P900)
- Raw mode makes the P950 more versatile than some peers
- Generous grip and nicely organized controls
What we don’t like
- Image quality from aging sensor is just OK at medium / high ISOs
- Corner sharpness at wide angles is fairly poor
- Diffraction limits sharpness at extreme telephoto
- Long lockup times after shooting bursts (especially with cheap SD cards)
- Interface can be ‘laggy’
- Focus slows and is prone to hunting at extreme telephoto
Conclusion from DPReview:
The only reason to consider buying the Nikon Coolpix P950 is its lens, which – covering an equivalent focal length range of 24-2000mm – is extraordinary. There are very few cameras that can match the P950’s versatility, although you’ll get better image quality and more advanced autofocus from several similarly-priced (but less ambitious) compact cameras.
Birding, travel (especially cruises, safaris etc), and those situations where you need to shoot for the moon – literally
Not so good for
Landscapes, fast-moving subjects or any situation where critical image quality is more important than zoom range
Read more Nikon Camera Rumors.
Join the Nikon Camera Users Group to share your Nikon photography, ask and answer questions that arise and help each others!