NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 S Lens has now been officially announced by Nikon. The Nikkor Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S is a pro-grade telephoto lens and also the first full-frame tele-zoom for the Nikon Z system.
The lens has Vibration Reduction built-in – which works in tandem with the Z6 and Z7’s in-body IS system – and can reduce shake by up to 5 stops.
The 70-200 F2.8 weighs in at 1.4kg (3.2lbs) and uses 77mm filters. A customizable control ring allows for quick adjustment of aperture or exposure compensation, and a digital display shows things like aperture and focus distance. As with other high-end Z-mount lenses, the 70-200 is weather-sealed.
The Nikkor Z 70-200 F2.8 VR S will be available in February for $2,596.95 – at B&H Photo Video/Adorama/Amazon.
NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S
- Pro-grade Z mount telephoto zoom lens. Covers the versatile 70-200 mm focal range with a constant f/2.8 maximum aperture.
- Superb performance. Sharpness and contrast are exceptional throughout the frame. Focusing is smooth, fast, and silent.
- Advanced optical design. 21 elements in 18 groups, with Nikon’s ED glass and SR glass as well as anti-reflective ARNEO and Nano Crystal coatings. Chromatic aberration, coma, ghosting, and flare are thoroughly countered.
- Ready for video. Focus breathing is all but eliminated, and stable aperture control delivers natural exposure changes throughout the scene.
- OLED lens information panel. Quickly confirm aperture, focus distance, exact focal length, ISO, and depth of field right on the lens.
- Fn button. Assign as many as 21 different functions to the lens’ Fn button, from AF lock to metering, bracketing, and more.
- Workhorse. Tough, compact build with extensive sealing to protect from dust and moisture.
The NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S – Astonishing Details, Uncompromising Zoom
An essential pro-level telephoto zoom lens re-imagined to take advantage of the optical potential of the Z series, the NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S is the latest addition to Nikon’s rapidly growing lineup of mirrorless lenses. The NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 represents a pivotal lens for the Z series and a must-have for those shooting action, weddings, events, news, wildlife and portraits. Equipped with a versatile focal range, fast f/2.8 aperture and an impressive 5 stops of built-in optical VR image stabilization1, the NIKKOR Z 70-200mm gives mirrorless shooters the flexibility to capture astoundingly sharp images and videos in a variety of scenarios. Additionally, multimedia and content creators using the lens will appreciate the stepping motor (STM) for extremely quiet autofocus operation and reduced focus breathing.
The NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S demonstrates the technological benefits of the Nikon Z mount to reinvent a classic lens, while including new features to make this photographer favorite even more superior for Z series users. Parfocal support maintains focus when zooming, while a reduced minimum focus distance (0.5m wide, 1.0m telephoto) vastly increases versatility for photos and video. When used in combination with the in-body stabilization of the Nikon Z 6 and Z 7, the NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 promises unparalleled stability with additional optical stabilization. Like other S line lenses, the NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 boasts a premium optical design complete with a 9-blade diaphragm as well as Anti-Reflective Nano Crystal and ARNEO coatings for maximum image quality in any light, with a Fluorine coating that resists dirt and smudges. In addition to a rugged weather sealed design the lens is ready to tackle any assignment with a dedicated Info Panel, two customizable Function buttons and an additional custom control ring.
The new NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S and AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR are the first Nikon lenses to feature the newly developed SR (Short-Wavelength Refractive) lens element, a specialized-dispersion glass lens featuring characteristics that greatly refract light with wavelengths shorter than that of blue. By controlling short-wavelength light that is difficult to compensate, the lens can more effectively collect light of various specific wavelengths and achieve highly precise chromatic aberration compensation.
Nikon Upcoming Cameras 2020
Read more Nikon Camera Rumors.
Join the Nikon Camera Users Group to share your Nikon photography, ask and answer questions that arise and help each others!