Nikon has announced the new Nikon AF-S 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR lens for DSLRs. The Nikkor 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR is a flagship telephoto zoom lens, designed for sports photographers who need extra versatility offered by a telephoto zoom lens, as well as a bright f/2.8 aperture.
The AF-S NIKKOR 120–300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR will be available from mid-February with the Nikon D6 DSLR. No surprise – the 120-300 F2.8E won’t come cheap, with a list price of $9,496.95 – at B&H Photo Video/Adorama/Amazon.
AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR
- Professional F-mount telephoto zoom lens. Covers the versatile 120-300 mm focal length range with a constant f/2.8 maximum aperture.
- Smooth, precise AF. Performance equivalent to a prime lens keeps pace with fast-moving or erratic subjects. An electromagnetic diaphragm ensures precise exposures at high frame rates.
- Advanced optical design. 25 elements in 19 groups, with Nikon’s ED glass and SR glass as well as ARNEO and Nano Crystal coatings. Chromatic aberration, coma, ghosting, and flare are thoroughly countered.
- Rock-steady VR. Nikon’s Vibration Reduction (VR) gives you a four-stop advantage, even with a teleconverter activated.
- Renowned Nikon ergonomics. Assignable function buttons, smooth switching between horizontal and vertical orientations, and more.
- Integrated tripod foot. Faces the front of the lens for optimum balance and more comfortable transportation.
- Tough build. Solid construction and extensive sealing readies this lens for trackside conditions in any weather.
From the Nikon press release :
AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR: Impressive Reach, Incredible Speed, Absolute Versatility
The all-new AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR is a versatile, professional lens for the Nikon F mount with a large focal range and fast constant aperture. It’s ideal for sports, wildlife and portrait photographers seeking a bright and fast telephoto lens that offers sharp image quality across a wide range of focal lengths. Thanks to its extensive 120-300mm focal range, the NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8 provides users with a pro-level single lens solution, replacing the need to carry multiple lenses. With Nikon’s reliable weather-sealed construction, the NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8 is equipped to handle any shooting scenario whether on the sidelines or in the wilderness.
Users will appreciate the constant f/2.8 aperture which offers incredible low-light capability and depth of field that draws emphasis to a subject. The impeccably sharp image quality, beautiful bokeh and enhanced AF performance of the NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8 offer speed and sharpness reminiscent of a prime. Engineered with Nikon’s cutting-edge technologies, the AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR is the first NIKKOR F mount lens to adopt Nikon’s new SR lens element as well as Nikon’s anti-reflective ARNEO coat to deliver superior chromatic aberration compensation and effectively reduce ghost and flare. The built-in VR function provides an effect equivalent to a shutter speed 4.0 stops1 and includes a Sport VR mode for rapidly moving subjects.
Ready for professional use, the lens is sealed to resist the elements and is engineered for maximum usability, even when handheld. The zoom ring, focus function buttons, tripod collar ring and controls are all designed to ensure superior operability for more comfortable shooting.
Read more Nikon Camera Rumors.
Join the Nikon Camera Users Group to share your Nikon photography, ask and answer questions that arise and help each others!