Here is a test video between the Panasonic S1 vs Nikon Z6 cameras. The new LUMIX S1R and S1 Micro Four Thirds cameras, uses the same Depth from Defocus AF system. On the other hand Nikon Z6 features 273 Phase AF points based Fullframe Sensor.
Panasonic S1’s ($2,497.99 at Amazon, B&H, Adorama) DFD is contrast-detect based but uses an understanding of each lens’s optical characteristics to work out where to drive the focus to. The camera’s AF Tracking mode has been updated, too. It now tracks whatever is under the focus point when you half-press (or AF-On) and then reverts to your original AF area when you release.
You can watch the AutoFocus Video test between the Panasonic S1 and Nikon Z6 ($1,996.95 at Amazon | B&H Photo | Adorama ) camera below.
As a side note, Nikon officially announced that they will add CFexpress, eye AF and RAW video support to Nikon Z6 and Nikon Z7 full-frame mirrorless cameras.
Video : Panasonic S1 vs Nikon Z6 AF Test
Panasonic Lumix S1
- Panasonic Lumix DC-S1: $2,497.99 at Amazon, B&H, Adorama
- Panasonic Lumix DC-S1 with 24-105mm Lens: $3,397.99 at Amazon, B&H, Adorama
- Shipping starts in early April
- Full press release | First Impressions Review
Panasonic Lumix DC-S1 Key Features
- 24.2MP Full-Frame MOS Sensor
- Venus Engine Image Processor
- 5.76m-Dot 0.78x-Magnification OLED LVF
- 3.2″ 2.1m-Dot Triaxial Tilt Touchscreen
- UHD 4K60 Video; HDR and 10-Bit Recording
- ISO 100-51200, Up to 9 fps Shooting
- Contrast-Detect 225-Area DFD AF System
- Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization
- Weather-Sealed Construction
- 96MP High-Res Mode, Dual XQD/SD Slots
Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Full Specification
Read more Panasonic Mirrorless and Panasonic Rumors.
Also join the Mirrorless Camera Users Facebook Group to share your Panasonic photography.