GoPro has officially announced the GoPro Hero8 Black – price tag $399 (pre-order at Amazon/B&H Photo Video/Adorama) and a release date of October 15 – which builds on its video capabilities and some of GoPro’s signature technologies.
GoPro has unveiled the brand new Hero8 Black right on schedule, debuting Hypersmooth 2.0 stabilization, modular lighting, microphone and display accessories, a built-in foldable mount, something they call ‘digital lenses’ for in-camera crop, and much more!
Boasting the same traditional body design, the GoPro Hero8 Black uses a 12-megapixel sensor that can record 4K (3840 x 2160) footage at 60, 50, 30, 25 and 24fps in 16:9, as well as 4:3 4K at 30, 25 and 24fps. Slow-motion fans will appreciate its 2.7K at 120 and 100fps capability.
The Hero8 Black can also record 2.7K in 16:9 at 60, 50, 30, 25 and 24fps, or50, 50, 30, 25 and 24fps 4:3 footage.
Pricing & Availability
The GoPro HERO8 Black is available for pre-order at $399.99 USD.
The GoPro Max retails for $499.99 and is available for pre-order for a shipping date of October 24.
GoPro HERO8 Black Key Features:
- 4K60/50, 2.7K120/100 & 1080p240/200
- 14% lighter with 2x stronger lens
- Built-in mounting port
- 12MP Still Photos with Selectable HDR
- HyperSmooth 2.0 Video Stabilization
- Direct Live Streaming to Facebook Live now in Full HD
GoPro HERO8 Black:
This is HERO8 Black-the most versatile, unshakable HERO camera ever. A streamlined design makes it more pocketable than ever, and swapping mounts takes just seconds, thanks to built-in folding fingers. And with the optional Media Mod, you get ultimate expandability to add more lighting, pro audio and even another screen. There’s also gamechanging HyperSmooth 2.0 stabilization with jaw-dropping slo-mo.
Features + Benefits
The reimagined shape is more pocketable, and folding fingers at the base let you swap mounts quickly. A new side door makes changing batteries even faster, and the lens is now 2x more impact resistant.
HERO8 Black Mods
Vloggers, pro filmmakers and aspiring creators can do more than ever imagined-with quickloading accessories like flashes, microphones, LCD screens and more. Just add the optional Media Mod to up your capture game.
Smooth just got smoother. Now HERO8 Black has three levels of stabilization-On, High and Boost-so you can pick the best option for whatever you do. Get the widest views possible, or boost it up to the smoothest video ever offered in a HERO camera. Plus, HyperSmooth works with all resolutions and frame rates, and features in-app horizon leveling.
Capture super stabilized time lapse videos while you move through an activity. And now, TimeWarp automatically adjusts speed based on motion, scene detection and lighting. You can even slow down the effect to real time-savoring interesting moments-and then tap to speed it back up.
Record the moments 1.5 seconds before and after your shot, so you can choose the best single frame for the perfect photo-or an awesome shareable video.
SuperPhoto + HDR
Capture killer 12MP photos with improved HDR-while in motion or stationary-with reduced blur and serious detail even in low-light areas.
Night Lapse Video
Shoot awesome time lapse videos at night in 4K, 2.7K 4:3, 1440p or 1080p, all processed in-camera.
Framing your shot is as easy as tapping a new digital lens. Now you can toggle between Narrow, Linear, Wide and SuperView.
Live Streaming in 1080p
Share while you’re there. Live stream in 1080p on social, get HyperSmooth stabilization as you broadcast via the GoPro app and save footage to your SD card to check out later.
Go hands-free with 14 voice commands like “GoPro, take a photo”. Even if the camera is off, you can say, “GoPro, turn on”. HERO8 Black understands English (US, UK, AU and India), Chinese (Mandarin), French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese (BR), Russian, Spanish (EU and NA), and Swedish.
Advanced Wind-Noise Reduction
Enjoy crisper, clearer audio quality with a new front mic location and improved algorithms that actively filter out wind noise.
RAW in All Photo Modes
RAW mode delivers the most flexibility and is now available for time lapse and burst photos.
HERO8 Black comes preloaded with recommended video presets for Standard, Activity, Cinematic and Slo-Mo shots. You can even create custom presets for quick access to your favorite settings.
Customize your screen with the quickest way to find the features you use most.
Intuitive Touch Screen
If you have a smartphone, using HERO8 Black will feel familiar. Three main capture modes with streamlined settings make navigating easy.
Get closer to the action. Perfectly frame your photos and videos just by touching the screen.
Capture photos and videos in portrait orientation-perfect for your Snapchat and Instagram Stories.
Jump in there. A photo timer makes it easy to grab a GoPro selfie or group shot with your whole crew in the frame.
Capture 15 or 30 second video clips that are just the right length for sharing.
Rugged + Waterproof
Share experiences you can’t capture with your phone. HERO8 Black is rugged, waterproof to 33ft (10m) and down for adventure.
Pro-Quality 4K60 + 1080p240 Video
Stunning video resolution, impressive frame rates and super slo-mo combine with HyperSmooth stabilization, making HERO8 Black our best shooter yet.
Ultra high frame rate 1080p240 video-with HyperSmooth 2.0 stabilization-allows up to 8x slow motion to relive epic moments in all their glory.
100Mbps Bit Rate
Record studio-quality footage with bit rate options of up to 100Mbps. The results are staggering.
HEVC Video Format
Save space on your SD card. Use High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) to reduce file size without losing any image quality.
GPS + Motion Sensors
GPS captures your location, altitude and speed. To share your feats of greatness, add GPS performance stickers to your videos in the GoPro app.
Face, Smile, Blink + Scene Detection
HERO8 Black knows when you face the camera, smile, blink and more. The GoPro app uses those details to handpick your best shots and create amazing videos.
The app lets you control your camera remotely, start and stop recording and offload media. Plus, you can make single- and multi-clip edits and share-all from your phone.
Auto Backup to the Cloud With GoPro PLUS
Offload photos and videos from HERO8 Black to the cloud-automatically. GoPro PLUS even lets you upload from mobile for ultimate on-the-go convenience.
Get back out there faster. The optional Supercharger power adapter charges your battery up to 38% quicker.
Compatible With GoPro Mounts + Accessories
Wear it. Mount it. Love it. With over 45 compatible mounts and accessories, including mods to customize your HERO8 Black, you can capture incredible new perspectives.
Three cameras in one. Classic HERO-style skills. Spherical-capture wizardry. Vlogging powerhouse. Make way for MAX, the most creative GoPro ever. Capture traditional GoPro video and photos with unbreakable stabilization, shoot 360 footage of everything around you and vlog like a pro. Snap a panoramic shot without having to pan-just point and click. Choose a digital lens to capture your footage exactly how you imagine it. And with six mics onboard, you get immersive 360 audio and the best sound we’ve ever delivered.
• Three Cameras in One Maximize your creative freedom. With MAX you can shoot traditional HERO-style video and photos or capture immersive 360 footage. Vlog to the max with shotgun-mic performance and a front-facing screen.
• Max HyperSmooth MAX gives you unbreakable stabilization by using 180 Degree capture as the ultimate buffer.
• Horizon Leveling In HERO mode, game-changing horizon leveling gives you that silky-smooth cinematic look whether you’re getting sideways, flipping through the air or chasing your kids.
• PowerPano Pano without the pan. Take incredible 270 Degree distortion-free panoramic photos without having to scan the horizon. Take PowerPano selfies, action shots and vertical pics-all with a level horizon.
• Premium 360 + Stereo Audio Six mics capture true-to-life 360 audio and deliver the best stereo
• Sound ever from a GoPro.
• Shotgun-Mic Performance Directional audio in HERO mode lets you prioritize sound from either side of the camera, no matter which lens you’re using-perfect for vlogging.
• Digital Lenses Choose from four digital lenses in HERO mode to get the shot. Capture video and photos in Narrow, Linear, Wide and Max SuperView-our widest view yet.
• Max TimeWarp Capture super stabilized time lapse videos while you move through an activity. In HERO mode, TimeWarp automatically adjusts speed based on motion, scene detection and lighting. You can even slow down the effect to real time-savoring interesting moments-and then tap to speed it back up.
• Intuitive Touch Screen Be a smooth operator. With a touch screen, it’s easy to control your camera. Or frame up your shot, play back footage and snap a selfie in HERO mode.
• Live Streaming in 1080p Shoot in HERO mode and share while you’re there. Live stream in 1080p on social, get Max HyperSmooth stabilization as you broadcast via the GoPro app and save footage to your SD card to check out later.